Thursday, July 19, 2012

Lunch that will justify candy later

We had a perfect lunch from the farmer's market today.  We got fresh corn on the cob, shucked it, and wrapped a couple ears at a time in wet paper towels and then microwaved it for about 4 minutes.  PERFECTLY cooked.  I brought in the Tabasco Salt for the corn. 

Then, we had tomato sandwiches.  Largely because it is what I could live off of in the summer.  Bolillo rolls, mayo, sliced tomatoes, and some salt and pepper.  I also found a block of motz in the fridge this morning (from pizza I had intended to make but then decided heating up the kitchen wasn't worth it) and sliced it for the sandwiches.

But, the real fun was the cucumber salad.  I love cucumbers.  If Phenom liked them, I assume I could slice one up for dinner every night in the summer.

Yesterday, our vegetarian student worker treated us to a rant about how she hates pickles and olives and anything in vinegar.  There were screwed up faces and declarations about her hatred of anything vinegary. 

But, she loves loves loves the pickled peppers I make for feta bruschetta.  She claimed that somehow, that was different.  I told her I use vinegar in that dressing.  She still insisted that the pickled peppers were special and she refused to accept that they had vinegar.

So, today, I mixed up some of the dressing and tossed a sliced cucumber in, and stashed it in the fridge for lunch.  The cucumbers ended up being slightly pickled and they were sweet and spicy and I imagine will be my new all time favorite thing.

In a jar, mix about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, about 3 tbls sugar, a pinch of salt, 1 large garlic clove grated, and about 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.  Seal up the jar and shake until the sugar is dissolved.  Add to sliced cucumber (although, I'm thinking that little slices of radish or paper thin slices of carrot would work too) and leave in the fridge about 4 hours.  I liked the thinner slices that were more "pickled" so I think I could make this in the AM for dinner with thicker slices.  The salt will draw some of the water out of the cucumbers, which shouldn't cause you distress.

Sadly, student worker decided to take the afternoon off and missed out on my newest VINEGARY masterpiece.  More for me.

No comments: