Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Spaghetti

I could never go gluten free.  I love pasta way too much.  Last night, I made a big pot of meat sauce, half went into last night's and tonight's dinner.  The rest was portioned up and frozen for future use.  (And, I even remembered to label the containers this time!)

First, I use a pound of 80/20 ground beef and a pound of hot, Italian sausages (casing removed) and brown up the meats (separately, beef first).  The juices/fat from the beef get added to the dog food for the week and the fat from the sausage is what I use to saute the veggies.

I chop up a large, sweet onion and several cloves of garlic to saute in the sausage fat.  I sprinkle about 1/4 tsp of salt over the onion/garlic to bring out the sugars.  I drain a jar of roasted red bell peppers and chop them up and add them to the veggies. (The roasted peppers are skinned and easier to digest . . . and harder to pick out from the tomatoes.)

I add 2 tsp (at least) of dried, Italian herbs, and about 1/8 tsp ground red pepper, about a teaspoon of salt, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, and about 2 tbls Worcestershire sauce.  I also add 1 large can of crushed Italian tomatoes and a small can of tomato paste.  I had about 1/3 a cup of jarred marinara sauce in the fridge, so I added about 1/3 cup of water, shook it up and added it too.  I add all the browned meat back in and let it simmer for at least two hours, stirring occasionally.

And, VOILA!  Spaghetti!

Tonight, I'm covering it with a generous portion of cheese and baking it.  Phenom will hardly know it was leftovers. heh heh.

No comments: