Thursday, January 05, 2012

Resolution Accomplished!

I am notoriously bad with resolutions.  I generally make some halfhearted and cynical resolution that I know won't change any one's life if left unfulfilled.  But not 2011.  No, in 2011, I made a resolution and saw it through!

I resolved to expose myself to new music.  (Notice how I cleverly put no real parameters on the resolution?  The true secret to resolution fulfillment . . . vagueness.)

I started off the year by listening to new artists' stations on Pandora.  Then, when I heard music reviews on NPR, I would follow up on the artists.  Which is how I found Raphael Saadiq.  I like his old school sound.  I like his style, very classic/y.

Then, I moved on to Pink Martini.  I honestly don't remember how I found them.  I like their Cole Porter irreverence.  There is a cleverness to their lyrics.

And, finally I looked into what my friends are listening to, and found Robbers on High Street.  Truth be told, one of my friends is main squeezin' with one of the members of the band.  I like their classic British pop sound.

I realize that although all these new groups clustered on my iPod are still well within my musical comfort zone, I still count this as expanding my musical library.

I haven't yet come up with a resolution for 2012.  Maybe to reduce the number of places I stash booze in my house to just the kitchen?

No comments: