Sunday, October 30, 2011

I like to have a plan

During a recent outing with friends, we came to discover that one of our friends has run out of money this year, and will be unable to join his family for Thanksgiving. Our immediate impulse (communicated through met eyes) was to invite him to our home for Thanksgiving. Of course, it will be fun and good cheer, but it also means I can start thinking about a blow-out dinner now.

Our friend likes red wine, which is great since I get a dozen bottles every Christmas from a friend, and have fallen behind in drinking it these past couple of years. I must resist the urge to lay in a couple of bottles of Beaujolais Nouveau, since the goal will be to open up a few slots on the wine rack before Christmas.

I bought a smoked turkey breast from a vendor on the side of the highway recently, when I thought it was going to be just me and the Phenom. Now, I'll have to get at least a fresh breast to roast. If I stick an apple and onion in it while it roasts, the pan drippings will make a great, flavorful gravy. And, Phenom must have mashed potatoes. And, you have to have corn. Phenom isn't much for corn, so perhaps a corn and jalapeno pudding.

I'll make cornbread stuffing . . . oh, maybe I can get hold of some chestnuts to add in. Our friend is a fan of asparagus, so perhaps some asparagus with hollandaise sauce. I feel like I need another veggie. Perhaps some roasted butternut squash? Roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts?

I wanted to do a dramatic amuse bouche, but then I also want to do a couple of fancy appetizers like blue cheese/pecan grapes and bacon/spinach/goat cheese stuffed mushrooms. I think the appetizers are going to win, since I'm expecting a couple bottles of wine to be consumed.

And, for dessert, a pumpkin cheesecake. I haven't made one in years. But, it has the flavors of pumpkin pie but the light, creaminess of cheesecake.

Oh, wait! Rolls, some kind of bread . . . This is what makes me happy.

No comments: