Monday, September 05, 2011

Dragging my stitches

When I attempt a new feat in the kitchen, I generally read the instructions a couple of times. If it is particularly difficult, I consult a couple different recipes/cookbooks and the interwebs. But, when I undertake the project, I'm usually pretty confident I know what I'm doing and reasonably how it is likely to turn out.

I'm less confident in my sewing abilities.

Today, I'm attempting something that looks a lot like this:

I'm pretty good at cutting out the pattern. I often can figure out vague instructions. And, I can appraise the situation logically, and piece together several oddly shaped bits. However, truth be told, I'm never entirely confident that what I'm making will actually look like the picture/pattern/my intended result until I'm finished. And, frankly, I'm usually pretty amazed when it does.

Because I'm not always confident it's going to work out, I find that I take a lot of "breaks" and rarely work straight through on a project. I think I'm afraid that it will fail, and I want to put that failure off as long as I can.

No comments: