Thursday, August 25, 2011

The best of friends

I'm a little misty eyed tonight. The first friend I ever had has recently joined facebook and we've been having fun catching up. For the purposes of this blog, I'll call her Cowgirl. Cowgirl was the first human friend I had in life. In many ways, we grew up together. In fact, at one point, my grad student tried to see if he couldn't stash me with her family to get me away from the lab.

Cowgirl gave me my very first cooking lesson. She taught me how to whisk two eggs, sprinkle in a little salt, pour it into a frying pan and break up a slice of cheese and a couple slices of deli ham, fold it over and VOILA! omelet!

She loved murder mysteries and I remember one night her telling me a horrible tale of bearded men on motorcycles with kidnapped children hiding out in the shack in the field behind her house.

And, when I was on the run, she tried to keep in touch.

And, after we were grown, and the interwebs allowed for people to reconnect, we were able to be friends again. And, now, we can chat back and forth when the mood strikes us. And, even though it has been years and years since we lived down the street from each other, we can pick up as if there is no distance. Nice to have a real friend like that.

No comments: