Saturday, July 30, 2011

Birthday Feast

Tonight we are celebrating the birthday of our good friend WS Random. She's turning 39 . . . or her "last good year" as I like to call it. I call it the "last good year" not because the cruelties of age and time that kick in after 40 . . . but because in my own life, things pretty much went to shit within days of my 40th birthday and the insanity just keeps coming.

To kick off the last good year, I've planned a feast, because that's what I do. On the menu tonight:

Sangria (with peach nectar, peaches, plums, and kiwis with white wine and club soda)
whipped feta/pickled pepper bruschetta
smoked salmon dip on bruschetta or chips
Grilled chicken Caesar salad (home made croutons, of course)

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream/Devil's food Cake

I thought I was going to replicate the picture of the layered ice cream cake in this month's Southern Living magazine. Good thing I made a first attempt at the cakes last night. Reading the recipe, I had a feeling it was going to fail. And, it did. So, I made my usual chocolate cake recipe this morning with success. But, rather than three tiny layers of cake, it will be two decent sized layers. Just means more ice cream in the middle, no?

No comments: