Friday, June 17, 2011

The Tide is High

I got the rare chance to have lunch with the Phenom today. I can probably count on one hand the number of times, in 20 years, I've gotten this treat. It was a nice little reminder of the perks of couplehood.

As I was driving back to the office, and now again on Pandora, I heard a song that came out when I was a young monkey and recently escaped. I'd been enrolled in the local primary school by the Old Folks. Because it was a small community, and the school enjoyed nearly community wide support, they would have dances every Friday night. As young ones, we thought it was so we would have something to do that was adult supervised. I now realize it was as much to also give parents a night off.

I remember dancing to this particular song. Awkward, self-conscious shuffling in a tight circle with some boy who was probably just as clumsy as I was. At the time, it was probably thrilling and terrifying all at the same time. Now, I have to look back at it as just a sweet memory.

Remember when the most complicated aspect of romance was hoping/dreading that you might be kissed goodnight?

No comments: