Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Guilty

This evening, I'll be treating my favorite human child to a gift. Because I feel guilty.

One of the reasons (of the many) I don't have children is because I have a pretty intense, busy job. I never wanted to have children who suspected that my work was more important than they were. I never wanted to miss out on birthday parties or soccer games or school functions because my job had something that could not wait.

Last night, an emergency called me back to work. I ended up working (after a full work day) from 6:30pm - 1:00am. (And, only came in two hours late today.) But, as I was leaving to return to the office, my favorite human child called and wanted to play the computer game we like. I had to tell her that I couldn't because I had to go to work.

I feel terrible. I'm pretty sure she isn't feeling at all slighted. But, I hate that I had to put my work before one of our playdates. On the flip side . . . in nearly 10 years . . . this is the first time I've ever had to bail on her because of my job. Let's hope it's another ten before it happens again.

No comments: