Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hack

I've got Cooks Illustrated going back to the first edition. I like the no advertisements format. I like reading the variations they tried before arriving at their "best recipe." However, they need to just never try to make "southern food" ever again. Collards quick sauteed with a bit of garlic? People have been dumped in the swamp for less.

However, in the most recent issue (I think), they have a recipe for "really good bruschetta" that is freakin' fantasgasmic. I know it's their recipe . . . total props to them. But, I have to share it. It will bring you love and fans.

Make Bruschetta: slice french bread on an angle and toast under the broiler . . . flipping over to get both sides lovely toasted brown. The moment the second side comes out of the oven, rub each piece with a piece of cut garlic then brush each piece with good olive oil.

Whipped Feta: in a food processor, whip up 8 oz feta, few grinds of black pepper, 2 tsp fresh lemon juice and 2 tbls olive oil.

EITHER, use a large jar of roasted red bell peppers, drained and sliced into thin strips or roast your own under the broiler, put in bowl with plastic wrap, then peel/seed/slice them into thin strips. I love the floral scent of roasting peppers, so I go with fresh rather than jarred.

Make a marinade of 4 tbls red wine vinegar, 4 tbls sugar, 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped or grated, pinch of salt, and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes. Drop your pepper slices in the marinade and let sit for several hours if not over night.

spread feta on each toast, then top with 2-3 slices of pepper. HEAVEN.

I've been making this for Spider Monkey Lunch Forum, and they now are ripe to do my evil bidding. heh.

No comments: