Friday, September 10, 2010

Feeling Invaded

This week has found itself revisiting a situation that has become drama that need not be. I am not a fan of drama.

From time to time, as with all working sorts I suppose, I get calls from local students working on projects for their studies. I generally am generous with sharing my expertise, thoughts, opinions, resources, and what-not. Although, over the years, I have become something of a stickler for manners. I had a student a couple years ago call me from a crowded party and request from me that I essentially do her project for her. ("I am suppose to do a 15 minute speech, but I thought it might be even better if you just came and spoke to my class." I don't think so missy . . . and next time you need assistance from a professional, don't call from a party.)

This week, I received a call from a student's mother. (MOTHER!) The parent was "helping" their college student child with a project because their child was so very busy with extra curricular activities. I invited the parent to share my work email address with the youngin' and we could discuss the project. The next day, the mother wanted to know if she could just drop by my office with the assignment sheet and I could just give to her the information needed. Thankfully, I needed to be away from the office all day. But, I restated my suggestion the student email me directly.

Today, the mother emailed to me the assignment and demanded my home phone number so that her child could call me Sunday evening when they had the time.

I don't think so.

Honestly, if this dimwit had shared my email address, and the child had emailed me when this assignment first popped up, they would have their information by now.

I don't think I owe the future employees of wal-mart a violation of my personal boundaries, do you?

1 comment:

LibraryGhost said...

That's nuts. At what age does the student have to start doing her own homework!?