Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stuff I learned from the Old Woman

The Old Woman took a novel approach to teaching me that which I would need as a human. She would teach in rhymes. For example:

There was once a girl with a curl
in the middle of her forehead

And, when she was good,
she was very good

And when she was bad,
She was horrid.

I'm not sure what the lesson was - but I heard it often and now steer clear of curly headed girls.

also:

Speak roughly to your little boy,
and beat him when he sneezes,
he only does it to annoy,
he can stop it if he pleases.

Again - not sure what I was suppose to learn, but I always duck when I sneeze.

There was also this:

Sneeze on monday, sneeze for danger
sneeze on tuesday, kiss a stranger
sneeze on wednesday, sneeze for a letter
sneeze on thursday, something better
sneeze on friday, sneeze for sorrow
sneeze on saturday, see your sweetheart tomorrow.

Clearly, the Old Woman was obsessed with sneezing. And, I've never gotten over expecting mail on tuesdays.

Lastly, nearly every morning I was in her home - and to this day still when I visit, I am usually greeted with:

Good morning, merry sunshine
what made you wake so soon
and chase away the little birds
and scare away the moon?

Apparently, monkeys are somewhat grumpy in the mornings.

There were more - but at the moment, those are the ones that come to mind.

No comments: