Monday, April 30, 2007

Birthday doldrums

I personally like birthdays. I think birthdays are what makes humans really quite fascinating. I am totally in love with the idea that whole groups of people would take the time to celebrate the fact that individuals exist.

Which means, I don't understand humans who act as if their birthdays are "just another day" on the calendar. The Phenom is like that. The Phenom actually gets grumpy over birthdays.

Now, I find that Evil Side Kick is the same way. SIGH.

Tomorrow is the birthday of Evil Side Kick. Because we have a very important series of events that will take us out off the office for the day, I arranged to have a lovely, pink arrangement of flowers delivered today. I honestly believe that this is the first time ESK has ever received flowers for her birthday. I made people say happy birthday tonight as we went out for an after work drink. Doing this at the bar scored her a free dessert. WHEEEEE. Complete strangers offering up sweets just because you were born, does it get any better?

Tomorrow, after our very important (scary suit requiring) meeting, I will be treating her to lunch any where in our fair city she wants. I also have whipped up a whole batch of her favorite treat as a little gifty.

Maybe a bit of pampering in the name of birthday will make her change her mind on the value she places on her birthday - and how we value her?

No comments: