Thursday, March 29, 2007

The most depressing movie ever

I watched the movie Iris this afternoon. It was rainy. I had a few hours away from the grind. I'd attended an utterly wretched meeting that was much more adversarial than necessary. So, of course, one must compound it all with something that will haunt your dreams forever.

The movie, of course is excellent. Tremendous acting. Interesting story. But, totally keyed into one of my worst fears.

The main character is a lovely, smart, accomplished woman who lived by her own values and rules. She was a glittering personality, much like myself. She was, as I am, delightful. And then she loses her mind. She knows she's losing her mind, which makes it even more painful to watch. Her husband tries to keep her safe and loved and warm - but he his merely human, and old too. He feels more deeply betrayed by the losses in the long run.

And, I cried and cried over the movie. It was literally painful to watch her slip away.

So, now I must find something that will restore the balance to my bruised psyche. I think Phenom needs a sound spanking.

. . .

Oh yes, that's much better. Such a relief.

No comments: