Sunday, March 18, 2007

Home Ec Guru?

Today, the team we sponsor had a game. Being the "team monkey" I brought a cooler filled with drinks, cut apples, cut oranges, and bananas for half time and after the game. The team lost, and didn't have much of an appetite.

The bananas will be made into milk shakes and smoothies later this week. The oranges will be breakfast for a couple of days. But, what to do with those apples? I knew I had to use them today because they brown so quickly.

So, I dug out the Old Lady's zucchini bread recipe and modified it a bit. I grated the apple quarters (peeled) and squeezed out some of the moisture. I used both walnuts and pecans because I had both. I also added nutmeg and cloves to compliment the cinnamon. And, used up the golden raisins pushed to the back of the pantry.

I have two loaves of sweet, yummy bread that I don't feel a bit guilty eating. I'm thinking that toasted with a bit of butter is only going to improve them. And, you'd never know there was so much healthy stuff in them because the apple cooked "away."

No comments: