Thursday, March 10, 2016

Food Nerd

I have learned that I come by my food-nerd ways honestly.

I recently spent a week visiting the Grad Student.  Finally, we weren't in mourning for the loss of a loved one.  And, he lives in a food paradise.

His most recent obsession is roasting his own coffee.  He, as any good scientist would, keeps detailed notes and is quite methodical with his process.  Each new sort of bean he buys, he roasts to three different levels and then brews each with four different methods.  He keeps detailed notes.  Similarly, on my first morning, he brewed me four cups of coffee, each utilizing a different brewing method. He had me taste each with and without milk and report which I preferred.  That became "my coffee" for the whole visit.

I have now acquired my own "rig" for roasting coffee and this weekend will embark on a new level of food nerd.  However, I won't likely keep the detailed notes like he does.

I hope the Phenom is up for this one.  I have Mexican and Peruvian beans to start this adventure.  And, I'm pretty sure the one thing my co-workers are REALLY looking forward to is me being jacked up on coffee every morning.  Hee Hee.

No comments: