Sunday, July 19, 2015

Southern "ratatouille"

Give it a fancy sounding name and no one will notice that you pretty much didn't actually cook.

This is what we, more or less, live on during the summer when I can get wonderfully fresh, local veggies for a song.  This week was particularly good.  Keep in mind I don't really measure and I use what I have at hand, so feel free to throw in what you like.

* Double handful of okra, sliced 1/2 inchish rounds
* 1 med/large yellow squash, the fatter end quartered and sliced, the skinnier end, halved and sliced
* several peppers sliced.  I had jalapenos, banana peppers, and cayenne
* tomatoes, chopped up.  I had plum tomatoes and used about 4, didn't peel them
* 1/2 an onion, diced
* several cloves garlic, chopped

Heat up olive oil in a pan and start with the peppers, onion, and garlic.  Salt and pepper them.  Then, when the onions are starting to go translucent, add in all the other veggies.  Sprinkle with Tony Chachere's seasoning.  I also put in a squirt of ketchup for a little sweet and vinegar.  Drop the temp to med, cover, stir every so often until everything is soft.  Check to make sure the seasoning is what you like and adjust accordingly and serve over rice.

Make sure you make enough for your lunch the next day.

I've also use cold, cooked potatoes and egg plant and zucchini in past versions. Pretty much what you like will work.  I've also changed up the seasoning . . . using various herbs instead of the cajun flavor.

No comments: