Monday, April 21, 2014

Better fooding today

Today was the day of the great marathon, so my usual breakfast companion was off finding personal glory.  I headed down to the breakfast area and ate at the bar.  This morning, a smoothie and chocolate croissant.  Then, brought my other traveling companion a cup a coffee and chocolate croissant of her own.

We headed out to Boston proper.  There was much more walking than we'd originally planned.  We wandered the shops/neighborhood known as Back Bay.  Really, a beautiful area . . . trees in bloom, lovely grassy park in the center of the lane.  We would occasionally sniff food smells and on a whim decided on an Italian place.  We were greeted at the door by a solid looking Italian grandmother.  All the waiters had Italian accents.  But, most importantly, the food was delicious.  I had a pasta with pesto with sauteed mushrooms and grilled chicken tucked into the bowl.

The crowds of people cheering on the runners was record-breaking.  I have heard several runners comment that no other marathon is hosted by a city that does more to pull together to support the race.  NOLA has the saints and Boston has this grand, wonderful marathon.

Tonight, we repeated at a restaurant I happened to notice out of the corner of my eye on the return from down town our first day, Helmand.  It features foods of Afghanistan.  The first night, it was so crowded we had to settle for the Thai place next door (no complaints).  We made reservations for the next night.  It was spicy and flavorful and perfectly prepared.  I had trout with the best sauteed eggplant I've ever eaten.  Tonight, I had beef tenderloin that was spiced and grilled.  The play of the spices with the smoke of the grill made for one of the best steaks I've ever eaten.  It was served with lentils two ways, and rice, and a tomato jam like substance that was spicy and may have ruined me for steak.

Oh, and it is Boston, I did manage a dunkin donuts treat earlier today, too.

No comments: