Monday, August 26, 2013

Sense Memory

My recently departed friend loved music.  Not in the way some people do, listening to pop radio and singing along in their cars.  He was a musician and appreciated the craft of making music.  This led him to appreciate some pretty interesting stuff.   And, it led him to getting to know other musicians.  And, he designed a good number of album covers and band t-shirts in his time.

When we were young, we communicated in the language of youth.  Mix tapes.  I admit, I cringe at the memory of the pop and folk fluff I put on the tapes I made.  His stuff was always dangerous and fearless and most decidedly punk.

This week-end, I had a brilliant stroke and recalled in which closet I'd stashed my old cassette tapes.  And, there they were . . . the mix tapes of my youth.  And, they still play.  And, the art work and doodles my friend included on the cases is now even more precious.

Rock on!

No comments: