Sunday, June 02, 2013

The Happy

The farmer's market is back in full swing!!  And, I'm so happy about it, I actually set an alarm for EARLY on Saturday mornings so I can get there before everything is picked over.

This weekend, for just shy of $8, I got green beans, potatoes, broccoli, shallots, and zucchini.

When I got home, I made some tamari rice and pulled some shrimp out of the freezer to defrost.  Later, I cut up maybe 1/3 of the broccoli, a handful or two of the green beans, and two of the zucchini.  I blanched and shocked the broccoli and beans.  Then, finely chopped one bunch of shallots and made shrimp fried rice.  Since I didn't have any ginger, I drizzled some hot chili oil over the salted and peppered shrimp.  They were sauteed quickly and pulled.  Then the veggies went in, and when they were almost cooked, the rice went in.  Just before serving, the shrimps went back in.  A little drizzle of sesame oil and a bit more hot chili oil and VOILA!! DINNER!  It may have been the best fried rice I've ever made.  The hot chili oil added just the right zing.

Tonight, I had left overs while I made green beans and potatoes for Phenom.  (Phenom, like the Old Man, likes green beans to be cooked soft . . . not the snappy, crispy green beans I like.)  I snapped a bowl full of beans and peeled/quartered a couple pounds of new potatoes.  I salted the water generously and then added a couple spoonfuls of bacon fat, and let it boil for 30-45 minutes.  After serving up a bowl for Phenom, I added a little bit of butter and a grind or two of black pepper.  Apparently, it was delicious.  It smelled good.

I have one more bunch of shallots left, so I think they will go into salad dressing later this week.  Perhaps some roasted baby zucchinis on the salad instead of croutons.  I love the farmer's market.

No comments: