Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Getting back in the groove

After the foodapalooza that was my trip to PDX, I've had a hard time getting back to the discipline of my diet.  And, add to the lack of motivation, we've hit that point in the winter when I really want fresh veggies and bright flavors.

But, I've learned how to snack better.  I invested in a bunch of 1/2 cup plastic containers at the start of this diet.  Each day, I fill a couple with various snacks.  Usually, one has almonds and cashews.  Another might have some hummus.  Sometimes, I'll pack up some cheese.  I try to have at least one dairy and one nut serving a day to boost the protein.  I've discovered that strips of red/yellow bell pepper with a single serve packet of guacamole is a great afternoon snack.  Greek yogurt has become a staple.  My friends in PDX introduced me to Greek Gods Yogurt.  It is full fat. . .  but like eating custard.  I also keep baby carrots and tiny tomatoes available for on the fly snacking.

But, the thing that seems to help the most are flavors.  I've found that dipping my hard boiled eggs in harissa makes for a tasty breakfast.  Tonight, I put a little curry powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl, and dipped tiny tomatoes in it.  Curry is one of my favorites.

Even if I don't stick to the diet forever, at least I've expanded my snacking.

No comments: