Friday, October 12, 2012

Random stuff from the week

It has been a long week, and I am exhausted.  But! (and it's a big butt . . . pa-dum-dum) I have gotten some sleep.  I went to bed insanely early, was asleep before 10pm and had 4 hours, followed by 3 hours, followed by another hour and a half of decent sleep.  Now, of course, all I want to do is sleep.

I had a breakfast meeting this week.  When my breakfast partner asked me that general question "how have you been?" I found myself saying "I've been good" pretty automatically . . . and then spent the next day and a half navel gazing over the statement.  At the time, I thought I was just giving a very superficial answer to someone who really doesn't need to know I've been a wreck.  There was also some guilt in saying "good" when clearly it's too early to be good, right?

We hired a new person to work in my office.  I'm excited over the hire.  Although, I totally plan to tell people she was a "diversity" hire . . . she's tall.  Just think of all that we can accomplish now that we have a tall person working with us.  A whole new world, I tell you.

Tomorrow, several of my peeps and I are going to step into the fray.  The asshats from the Westboro Baptist Church will be protesting the funeral of a fallen soldier in our area.  This particular case touches me because a) it's on or near my "turf" b) it is a female soldier and c) she is survived by her spouse "she".  I imagine that her career in the military has been hard enough, being a girl who likes girls, I hate to think of her death as being the spark for added hatefulness.  We are joining a group who are organizing a human wall between where the WBC wackos are going to be and the church where the funeral is being held.  It is the right thing to do.  And, I think that people who are mourning the loss, will appreciate that their loss brought out so many people who are caring and compassionate.

And, I bought the makings for French 75 drinkies.  It will be a pleasant weekend, even if it isn't in NOLA.

No comments: