Saturday, September 29, 2012

And, I got paid

A bit of distraction this week.  I was invited to be a judge at the county fair again this year.  Last year, I judged crafts, and was scheduled to repeat that duty.  But, at the last minute, a judge dropped out, and I was asked to fill in judging BAKED GOODS.  

Drawing from my knowledge gained from Mayberry, I assumed that the treats we would be sampling would be the best of the best church lady desserts.  Last year, the baked goods judges were sequestered to their own tables . . . with several volunteers running items in the various categories back and forth.

We had a fair official assigned to us, cutting slices . . . recording our decisions.

I spent two hours, Friday morning, trying more pound cakes, cupcakes, brownies, pies, and various other items than you can imagine.  It was a conveyor belt of sweets.  About half way through, I was swimming in a sugar high.  

The best item we tasted was peanut brittle.  The worst?  There were some whoopie pies that had developed a rather unappealing black/green color that we refused to try.  (The fair officials who photographed entries as they came in assured us that they weren't that color when they were submitted.)

And, on top of it all, I got paid.  Just enough to buy a round of drinks next week, but that's another story.

No comments: