Saturday, March 10, 2012

You Take What You Can Get

This review of one of the newest Olive Garden restaurants has gone viral.  One site that reposted it, described it as "unwittingly hilarious."  I suspect, well know, that food snobbery is at play here.  And, Food Snobbery is something I know a little about.  I am a food snob.  I am highly critical of food servers, food preparation, and if I can make it myself (which is always better, well, almost, the local cupcake place has me beat) I never order it in a restaurant.

But, at the same time, I understand the reviewer's words and sentiment.  I live in culinary hell.  We have little variety in our restaurants, and most of them are big, cheap, chains.  (Side note, we actually do have several italianish/greeky places here.  They serve up the expected Americanized fare, but they are family owned and tasty.)  So, whereas Olive Garden is known for over cooking their pasta, drowning it in overrich sauces, and focusing more on the meat atop your pasta mountain than the freshness of their ingredients, if we had one here, people would flock to it.

Because, when you live in culinary hell, you take what you can get.

No comments: