Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pancakes for supper

Phenom just, tonight, figured out that when I make buttermilk batter in the mornings, it's usually for waffles and when I make the same batter in the evening its for pancakes.  Mainly because pancakes take more time and attention than waffles.

We had that once (maybe twice) a year pancakes for supper tonight.  Here's the recipe:

1 1/4 cups self rising flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbls sugar (I like to use brown sugar or sugar in the raw)
1 egg
3 tbls melted butter (unsalted)
1 cup (or more) buttermilk (I use whole buttermilk)

Whisk the flour, soda, and sugar together.  Sometimes I'll add a little powdered vanilla.  I have some vanilla sugar I made last fall and that would be good for the 2 tbls too.

melt the butter in the microwave.  Whisk together the egg and butter milk, then whisk in the butter (pouring it in slowly)

Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until it's all wet but not all of the lumps are out. If you want, you can add gingerbread spices to the dry ingredients . . . or orange zest to the wet.  I muck around with recipes and this is what convinces the Old Woman I'm going to end up poisoning someone one day.  (Silly Old Woman)

This is the batter I use for waffles.  If I'm making pancakes, I'll add another couple of tablespoons of buttermilk for a just slightly thinner batter.

Tonight, I served them with some maple syrup one of the SMLF gave me for christmas.  (Side note. . . make friends with a human who taps and boils down maple syrup. . . this is almost as important as making friends with people with beach/mtn/lake houses.)  Also, I defrosted the last of the peaches from last summer and warmed them with a couple spoonfuls of the vanilla sugar I mentioned before.  I'm a big fan of fruit on pancakes.  Phenom, not so much.

No comments: