Monday, November 07, 2011

Progress, maybe.

Years and years ago, I served on a local community committee. We would meet monthly, over lunch, and discuss ways to promote better living in our community. The group had both men and women of various ages, but I was the youngest of the bunch. During these lunch meetings, the men would sit at one end of the table and discuss sports, and the women would sit at the other end and discuss child birth.

I would sit at the mens end and talk sports. The men seemed to think it was a tad weird, but didn't openly object. The women looked at me like I had two heads.

The other day, as I was sitting down with the SMLF, I realized that the table of men sitting next to us were discussing their wives child birth experiences. I recognized most of the men in the group . . . some of them have worn badges and guns in previous lives. I thought, wow! now that's progress that men can openly talk about the births of their children without being viewed as less manly.

Then, this morning, I read about how selling the HPV vaccine to parents of teen boys is an easier sell that for teen girls because parents expect their sons to have sex. Sigh.

No comments: