Friday, October 21, 2011

Taunting

I have a special talent. Really, I ought to exploit it for profit. I have an uncanny sense of when a human is preggers. Several years ago, I surprised my doctor with a gift of handmade booties. I'd not seen her in 6 months, and she was shocked at the gift. But the prior visit, I noticed her looking "far away" and knew what it meant.

This week, I probably pulled off the best one yet. I have a good friend who has been trying to get pregnant for a while now. Generally, when I have a friend in that position, I don't ask or mention it because I don't want her to feel like she has to explain that which is private. But, at the same time, I'm totally willing to listen when they express frustration that the pregnancy isn't happening, or when other folks get pregnant effortlessly.

This particular friend has been trying for a couple of years. We knew that she was just starting down the path of assistance methods, but knew that could also be a long and frustrating road.

We met at a new Latin place for lunch one day this week. And, she had exhibited unusual ditziness. And, I asked "are you pregnant?" Which was uncharacteristic for me. And, she blanched, asked why I'd ask such a thing, and changed the subject. Funny thing was, I wasn't embarrassed or ashamed for seemingly making her feel bad.

A few minutes later, she admitted that just two nights before, had successfully had two positive pregnancy tests.

Now, I'm taunting her by saying that she need not even consider girl names because she's going to have two boys.

If I'm right on this . . . it'll be the carny life for me!

No comments: