Thursday, September 29, 2011

Haunted

I have experienced the phenomena of ghosts. I know, freaky.

I recently met a person from the neighboring community, and we discovered that we have mutual acquaintances. I think I kinda freaked her out with my ghost story about our mutual friends.

Years ago, I'd attended a concert with our mutual friends and their daughter. After the concert, we went to their beach house to spend the night. There was silliness and late night snacking. I was staying in the room that had been the master bedroom when it was a family home. My friends were staying in the upstairs bedroom, and their daughter was staying in the other downstairs bedroom. The daughter's room and the master bedroom were adjoined by a bathroom.

Now, you should know that I have a long history of sleeping right through people crawling into bed with me. When I was a young monkey, I frequently baby sat the young children of one of the Old Folk children. They frequently would crawl into bed with me in the wee hours of the night. And, Phenom is a night person and often comes to bed a couple hours after I do. So, I usually hardly register it when someone crawls into bed with me.

Back to the story. At some point in the middle of the night, I barely awoke when I felt the daughter of my friends crawl into the king-sized bed with me. I've known this child since she was a toddler and I figured she had gotten scared or perhaps her mother regularly slept in this bed.

The next morning, I awoke to find myself alone in my bed. At breakfast, I asked the daughter if she'd slept part of the night with me. She said no, but then I caught my friends and the kid exchange meaningful looks. At first, I thought they might be thinking I was some sort of perv.

But, no. They explained that the previous owners had lived in the house as their full time residence and that the wife had passed away in the room I'd slept in. They said that several people have reported feeling like someone had crawled into bed with them in that room. They also explained that they don't warn people first because they don't want to frighten guests.

No comments: