Sunday, August 07, 2011

Southern Goodness

I am pretty sure that pimento cheese is something the Old Woman never purchased, made, or ate. I'm not even sure how it is that I came to love it the way I do. First . . . it's cheese! How could you not love cheese spread? Second, it can be doctored up and used in a variety of applications. Lastly, you can make a batch and eat it all week long, thus eliminating the need to heat up the kitchen in the summer.

Today, I made a batch to take for my lunches this week. This is what I made today, which was kinda thrown together when I realized I didn't have one crucial ingredient.

1 lb sharp cheddar, grated (use the food processor, sooo easy)
1 4 oz jar chopped pimentos, drained well
about 4 oz dill pickle relish (normally, I'd prefer about 4 oz chopped green olives/pimentos, but didn't have any today, so it was pickles)
1 heaping tsp chopped jalapeno pepper (pickled)
several good dashes worchestershire sauce
about 1 tsp lemon juice
about 1-2 tsp saracha sauce
ground pepper

I mixed everything together with a fork . . . you want to see how wet it will be with the pimentos and pickles/olives before you add mayo. I used 3 big soup spoons full of mayo, adding them one at a time and mixing until I was happy with the look/feel. You do want to taste it to make sure it's to your tastes. Also, you need to stash it in the fridge for a few hours before it really tastes right.

I like to hollow out a bun and fill it with the spread, then wrap it in foil and pop it in the oven to heat up. It is as messy as a sandwich gets, but sure is yummy.

No comments: