Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fond Memories

In anticipation of my double date with Tony and Eric, I'm reading Kitchen Confidential. Tony made some quip about the best food being made while one is nicely toasted. It reminded me of one of the best meals I ever made, early on.

I had recently been introduced to the highly lethal drink, the Kamikaze. I loved them so much, I took to keeping a mason jar of pre-made kamikazes in my freezer for after work swigs. After one particularly long road trip with the woman who was, then, my supervisor, Phenom and I found ourselves drinking, late, with the neighborhood philosopher. We gazed upon our navels while tossing back shot after shot of kamikaze. Sometime, very early in the morning, we decided we needed breakfast. I went toddling back (although at the time, I thought of it as "running") to our apartment and gathered up some fresh bread I'd picked up at a cute little bakery on the road trip (it was a raisin cinnamon loaf with icing on top) and some sausage. I "darted" back to the philosopher's apartment and got to work.

I patted out sausage patties, scrambled eggs, and toasted thick slices of bread. It was, hands down, one of the best meals I'd ever made or eaten. I also think that was the night, Phenom agreed to take the kitten Toad off the philosopher's hands . . . being that our cat had knocked up his cat.

No comments: