Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Explained

My wordless wednesday was a picture I took the summer of 2005, just a few weeks before Katrina devastated the gulf coast. The little bit of red is my traveling monkey. The traveling monkey was sent to me by a biologist friend (she studies frogs in their natural habitat - no caged froggies for us) and a long letter (in french) about how the monkey yearned to travel. We took it to new orleans and took pictures everywhere we went.

Cafe du Monde is a coffee shop that is open 24-hours a day. When we go a touristing in the big easy, our nights of trolling the streets ends at cafe du monde for cafe au lait and beniets. Then, we toddle home and sleep it off. We've never been hung over with a serving of cafe du monde in our tums.

In the past few weeks, I've been itching for a trip to new orleans. I was planning on a trip this fall, but it looks like it's going to be post poned until the spring. A friend brought me a copy of the Hurricane Relief cd -- and the title of the WW was a line from my favorite song on the album. It's by John Mayer and Aaron Neville -- called heart so heavy.

And, then the anniversary of the hurricane came around today. More sad memories. sigh.

1 comment:

RaeJane said...

This time 2 years ago I was being driven to the hospital to deliver my little Camille.

I have 2 reasons to remember this day.