Thursday, May 17, 2007

Gonna need a few additions

I know that when I started writing this blog over 500 posts ago, I advocated that perhaps smoting oughta come back into fashion.

I have a few more folks who probably would benefit from a good smoting (smiting?). I read in a small town a 28 year old man was jailed for having sex with a 12 year old girl. He claims she was into it. That may be -- but hasn't he heard the phrase "12 will get you 20"? Seriously - you cannot convince me that a 28 year old can't pick out the underage girl from the crowd. Of course, this is on the heels of the ESK telling me that while doing volunteer work with a youth program, an 11 year old once asked her how she should tell her mom she's pregnant.

But the strangeness that has me really wishing for a few lightening bolts to come thundering from the sky is the fact that there exist people who immediately start registering all variations of domain names after disasters. The story I read about it focused on the shootings at VT - but noted that this is a pretty common phenomena after any serious news worthy event. What really burns is that some guy bought up domain names for the people killed in the VT shootings - and now is selling them back to the dead people's families at a premium. (apparently, to those in the know, it costs a mere few dollars to register a domain name --- and these vultures are selling them for thousands of dollars.)

I remember someone quipping once that people should probably register a domain name for their children at birth - just so that this sort of thing doesn't happen. I thought it was cynical at the time. Boy oh boy was I wrong.

So, how about a lightening bolt or two, eh?

No comments: