Sunday, April 22, 2007

Salsa and odd smells

This afternoon, I made the first batch of salsa for the summer season. This is what I do:

throw into a food processor -

1 jalapeno (seeds removed)
1/2 sweet onion
2 cloves garlic
handful of cilantro leaves

Whirr

Add two cans of whole tomatoes -- just the tomatoes - I like to squeeze out the juice from the tomatoes as I fish them out of the can. Strain the remaining juice (to get the seeds out) and reserve for bloody marys.

Whirr

Add 1 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/8 tsp ground red pepper, 1 tbls balsamic vinegar, juice from 1 lime --

Whirr.

It's yummy.

As for the odd smells - after spending the day cleaning like a wild monkey (mopping the floors, throwing a way stuff, doing the summer/winter wardrobe shift, etc) I discovered our hot water heater throwing off an acrid smell and strange noises. So, I've shut it off and am waiting for daylight so that I can call the plumbers. This is the karmic payback for disturbing the fine layer of dust in the household.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I use fresh tomatoes for mine...preferably from the garden....which is why I haven't made any yet this season, I suppose.