Tuesday, March 06, 2007

swinging the extremes

Over the weekend, I abused my brain. You know that. I also spent time babysitting one of my favorite young humans. I must have still been buzzing from the weekend, because I didn't clue in when the child asked me to hold one end of a string . . . and the next thing I know, she's walked around my chair and tied me to it. I realized that I'd fallen for the oldest kid on babysitter trick in the book -- and that the child believes she's the first child to dream this one up.

I cling to this fun memory because today I had to visit an old friend in a nursing home. The place was as nice as nursing homes tend to be. There wasn't an overwhelming stink - not too much in the way of the sounds of human agony. Still, it was depressing. As we left, I told the Phenom that I'd rather die younger than ever be stuck in a warehouse for bodies. The Phenom said that I might feel differently some day in the future.

Somehow, I don't think so. There is a reason sick and dying animals crawl off to the underbrush.

No comments: