Sunday, February 18, 2007

mexicanish

Once upon a time, I lived for tacos. I don't really know why, but they are a sort of comfort food for me. So are noodles - asianish noodles. Perhaps it's a reaction to the pellet diet I survived on during my early years.

I realized I have not posted a foodie post in a while, so I thought I'd share what I do to make my mexicanish meat for tacos, burritos, etc.

Brown off ground beef. I use ground chuck - and when I can, I much prefer to get the stuff that the store butcher grinds himself and not that weird radiated can sit in the sun for days and not kill you crap. I generally do about two pounds at a time.

Drain off the browned beef. Return to the pan, and add a can of rotel. Sometimes I add a bit of tomato paste. Tonight, I added about a 1/4 cup mild taco sauce to the mix. Stir, cover, and turn to low heat (you want a little bubbling but not a rolling boil). Stir every half hour or so, and in an hour/hour and a half, add in an envelope of the taco seasoning of your choice. I usually go for the low salt version. Tonight, I tried the taco bell chipolte seasoning. Stir in the seasoning - and eat. I like to make extra so that I can freeze some for a future date.

The tomatoes tenderize the meat and give a great flavor. It's also a very sneaky way of getting an extra veggie into food non-veggie loving people will eat.

No comments: