Thursday, April 26, 2012

Summer Preview

I know, it's only April, but I cannot wait for the change of season.  I tend to cook seasonally.  I make meat heavy pasta sauces and chili and stick to your ribs type foods in winter, and in summer it's veggie-palooza!

One of my favorite local farms got in touch with me the other day to let me know that this weekend, they will have english peas at their roadside stand.  (YAY!!!)  And, the unseasonably warm spring has me already wishing the parking lot farmer's market would go ahead and open.

This week, I made a quickie meal that will likely reappear several times this summer.  Once I can buy from the farmer's market, we switch over to eating ratatouille a lot, using what looked good at the farmer's market that week.  (Well, except for those few weeks when I gorge myself on fresh corn.)

I chopped up yellow and green squash, bermuda onion, a red bell pepper, and crimini mushrooms and tossed them with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roasted them just 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees.  I also boiled just shy of a box of penne pasta for about half the box recommended time.  When the pasta was drained, I tossed it with a little jarred marinara sauce.  Then, mixed in the partially roasted veggies.  I mixed in a couple handfuls of grated cheeses . . . I had provolone, mozzarella, and smoked gouda.  It went into a casserole dish and was topped with another, light, handful of each of the cheeses and a little Parmesan cheese.  I baked it 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

It was yummy . . . easy. . . cheap. . . nutritious. . . and made enough we can have left overs tonight.  And, this summer, will be a regular on our table.

No comments: