Sunday, August 19, 2007

Green Salsa

Years ago, I tried to make green salsa. It was terrible. It was horribly bitter and not at all tasty. So, I stopped trying at all. I figured that the lovely green salsas I have a restaurants must be full of chemicals that are addictive. Things you can't buy legally.

Then, I saw Tyler Florence make green salsa - and I decided I needed to try again. WOWIEEEE! It was good. I am now addicted to this stuff.

You will need:

1 lb tomatillos
2 jalapenos
1 largish onion
2-3 cloves garlic
a lime
cilantro
pinch of salt
drizzle olive oil
several grinds black pepper
a bit of cumin

Okay - full disclosure - after I finished of this batch I realized I left the cumin out. I now feel I MUST make another batch just to see what the cumin adds.

Peel the paper husk of the tomatillos and rinse the sticky stuff off them. Quarter them and toss them in a casserole dish. Rough chop the onion, garlic, and jalapeno (removing the seeds and membrane) and toss them in too. Drizzle olive oil, dust with pepper and salt - and mix it all up with your hands. Then pop into a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes - hour --- stirring every 15.

You want the veg to become very soft, the tomatillos to break down, and if they take on a bit of color, even better. Allow to cool a bit before you pour the stuff in a food processor. Process til mostly smooth. Add in the juice of 1/2 - 1 lime -- and a handful (about half a bunch) of cilantro. Now, it I'd not forgotten the cumin, this is where I would have added about 1/2 tsp. Process until smooth and the cilantro is little bits. Chill. There is a bit of heat - but it's also sweet. I used the whole lime and you really could taste the lime - but boy was it good.

I used the batch to make some enchiladas. It's killing me to have to leave them in the frig until tomorrow night when we have guests for dinner. I'm craving it now.

No comments: