Monday, February 12, 2007

Regal Chow

This evening, while commercials ran on Anthony Bourdain, I watch bits of the Westminster Dog Show. I appreciate that these animals are considered beautiful creatures and are appreciated for their attributes. I'm a bit puzzled by the shifting "standards" by which dogs are evaluated. I'm also puzzled by the designation of "new" breeds.

But, regardless of those issues, I had to appreciate the Chow. It reminded me of a chow that use to live in our neighborhood. It had the same regal bearing that the show dog had. It would stand at the edge of its' yard, perfectly still, commanding respect. My dog, who can be a bit of a goof-ball, would always drop his head and tail in respect and tread lightly as we passed. It died last year after a long, long life. Even now, my dog still looks for it on walks and is reverent when we pass where it ought to stand.

On an entirely different note: I have another confession.

I wasn't really forced to join an Irish Step Dancing Troupe as a small monkey. Therefore, I don't actually know if they teach step dancing by shooting at your feet -- or if most Irish people don't have most of their toes. The fact is, I don't believe I've ever seen an Irish person without shoes on, and thus have no idea if they have toes or not. It was all a terrible lie. I was just hoping to get a bit of attention. I admit it.

No comments: