Thursday, February 15, 2007

Giving Back

The Phenom and I have had discussions about our role in society, our responsibilities, blah blah blah. I personally think that everyday I don't fling poo at passing motorists is a day in which I've lived up to my social responsibilities.

But, this year, we have taken on a bit of an experiment. We are sponsoring a little kid's sports team. We aren't coaches. We aren't team parents. We are suckers who cheer on the kiddies and provide treats. The team is made up of kids who are better than the average at the sport, and are recruited to play for the team and the team travels near and far to play other teams of the same caliber.

The team are locusts. I sent over several bags of candy as a treat for VD day -- and apparently, the candy didn't survive the first night of their recent "road trip" for multiple games. Most recently, I sent cookies for after practice - and the many many cookies were gobbled down in literally seconds flat. We have volunteered to host the end of the season cook out. Now, I'm wondering how on earth we will manage to feed them. I'm a little afraid that if we fall short, one of the furry critters will get eaten.

This weekend, we are off to see more games. I stocked up on bananas, apples, and oranges for snacks during the games. I think I'll just toss them in a big bucket and keep my hands out of the way. I never knew human children could consume their body weight in one afternoon.

No comments: